Did you know that approximately one in seven couples have difficulties conceiving? Infertility is on the rise, and scientists believe that infertility rates will continue to increase. And many of the factors relating to infertility comes down to modern day lifestyle choices.
Now more than ever we are exposed to higher than acceptable stress levels; whether through work, relationship woes, financial stress. Our quality of food is on the decline and our choice of diets are now more questionable than ever. Convenience foods, microwave meals and on-the-go eating is an everyday occurrence that most of the population rely on, because there simply doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day to focus 100% on our health.
It is important to note here that not all fertility issues are related to lifestyle, and in order to get to the root cause of infertility, certain tests will need to be done by Fertility Specialists. However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t start making significant changes in your own life in order to get your fertility wellness on track!
Certain fertility issues stem from stress, lack of exercise, hormonal imbalances and poor eating habits. Thankfully the majority of infertility issues can be solved, and by implementing lifestyle changes, this could increase your chances of falling pregnant naturally. Fertility well-being comes from not just physical health, but from mental health and spiritual health too.
We have therefore shared our favourite Mind-Body-Soul wellness tips with you below that will assist with boosting fertility; Natural Health Practice, Mindfulness and Nutrition are three of the most powerful tools we have to do just that:
Mind-Body-Soul Wellness Tip # 1: De-Stress
- YES YES YES! As impossible as this may seem, this is the number one culprit for hormonal imbalance issues, menstrual cycle and ovulation issues.
- When trying to conceive, couples end up dealing with a huge amount of stress when they have the inability to procreate. This becomes counter-productive in your efforts, and in turn adds even MORE stress to your lives.
- The more stress you have in your life, the less likely you are going to have a menstrual cycle or ovulate, which is 100% necessary when trying to conceive.
- It is therefore imperative that you work on finding ways to declutter your minds, and de-stress your bodies.
- We work very closely with Dr Lulu Beyers, of The White Lotus. Dr Beyers uses Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Herbal remedies to optimise treatment outcomes, and has extensive experience in treating gynaecological/hormonal disorders.
Mind-Body-Soul Wellness Tip # 2: Eat Food Made With Love!
- It is vital that you nourish the body with nutritious whole and natural foods. So make sure you eat food made with LOVE! By this, we mean cooking food from scratch, and being totally connected with the food that you are cooking, and consuming.
- It is important that while trying to conceive that you focus on their eating habits and start eliminating unhealthy eating habits.
- Stay clear of processed or pre-cooked meals from supermarkets that are mass-produced, full of artificial ingredients and almost always laden with too much salt.
- Having a relationship with your food and your body are the first steps to creating harmony within, starting with your hormonal balance.
- Increase your intake of fruit, raw vegetables, organic proteins and avoid wheat and man-made products that have very little nutritional value to them!
Mind-Body-Soul Wellness Tip # 3: Get Quality ZZZZZ’s
- Sleep deprivation plays havoc with your body, and moreso your hormonal balance! It is therefore imperative that you create a space that is your tranquil haven at night so that you can get the quality of sleep that your mind and body deserves.
- Avoid any stimulation at night such as your phone or laptop. Select a curfew in the evening where you switch off all technology and create a window of “me” time where you can start to deflate from the day’s worries and stress.
- Having a warm bath and creating a warm ambience in your room just before lights out is the perfect way to drift off into lala-land.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugar late at night as these are stimulants and will affect your sleep.
Mind-Body-Soul Wellness Tip # 4: Detoxify!
- Detoxing the body regularly is very important, especially for fertility wellness. We are by no means suggesting you go cold turkey with all your vices and cheats as this will cause more harm than good, but it really is about finding the right balance.
- If you do smoke, start working on a program where you can begin to cut-down and eventually stop completely.
- Cut-down on alcohol consumption dramatically as this definitely impacts your chances of falling pregnant.
- Buy yourself a juicer and make your own fresh juices at home! There are so many fantastic recipes available online these days that you can really get creative when it comes to purifying your body!
- We work very closely with Emily Innes who is a certified dietitian who specialises in women’s health and specifically with fertility health. To contact Emily click here.
Mind-Body-Soul Wellness Tip # 5: Be Kind To Yourself
- This is such an important step in the fertility well-being process. When we berate, blame or criticise ourselves, it manifests MORE stress, anxiety and hormonal imbalances, which will affect us emotionally and physically.
- It is therefore really important to carve out time for yourselves every day, where you can truly reflect, be mindful, find your inner peace and allow yourself to focus on gratitude and acceptance, rather than what you cannot have right now.
- Self-preservation and self-love is so important, so leave post-it notes on the fridge with mantras of love and gratitude, or leave an inspirational quote on the dashboard of your car every night so that you can read it first thing in the morning before heading to work. Start to create a positive flow around you wherever you can so that it becomes a natural process eventually.
Always remember, you are beautiful, and strong, and you deserve to be happy. Not everything works according to the plan you set out for yourself. Sometimes, miracles come to you in different ways and through different sources, and we often miss these because we are too focused on our planned future that we refuse to default on.
“Life is a series of a thousand tiny miracles. Notice them.”